Healthcare for Students with Disabilities

Information about health and wellbeing for students at Pembroke is available on our Medical Advice and Wellbeing pages.



  • The NHS offers help for funding of prescriptions (see here).

  • The JCR will also refund the cost of all prescriptions, including private, to all students within the JCR, able-bodied and disabled. Refunds request can be made in confidence, or anonymously through the JCR Disabilities rep.

  • To claim a refund, simply pidge the receipt for your prescription with your account number and sort code, with your name if you wish, to the Disabilities Rep who will keep a record and pass on details for payment to the treasurers. The reference for payment is 'JCR Prescription'.



  • The Oxford University Hospitals Specialist Disability Service is an experienced team who specialise in the management of complex disabilities and call on a wide array of professions including Clinical Scientists, Occupational Therapists, Rehabilitation Engineers, and Speech and Language Therapists. Their aim is to maximise a person's quality of life and independence. They do this by providing comprehensive assessment, advice, information, recommendations and where necessary, the design and manufacture of customised equipment.

  • A comprehensive list of health care services for people with learning difficulties can be found here.

  • The Physical Disability Physiotherapy Service (PDPS) is a small specialist service providing physiotherapy for people with a long-term neurological disability. It is a local community based service. There is an emphasis on enabling patients and their carers to manage their disability in their own environment.



  • Romantic and sexual relationships and sexual health are areas of great concern for some students, and as a disabled student you may feel that you face added complications, or a comparative lack of support and sexual and reproductive healthcare. However, the University, the NHS and many charities provide information on a range of topics to best help you to discover the best course of action for you to approach sexuality and disability.

  • Communication about sexual needs and ‘capability’ are particularly important as a disabled student. It is important to be able to have frank conversations with a (potential) partner on how your disability or illness may affect sexual activity and vice versa.

  • As well as Consent workshops, OUSU frequently run Disability, Sex and Relationships workshops which cover, among other things, how to discuss particular needs pertaining to mobility considerations, and the implications of disabilities such as Autism, and hyper or hyposensitivity, and the routines and aids that can be used to overcome or incorporate these.

  • Any other medication you take to control your disability or illness may have an impact on your eligibility to use hormonal contraceptives. The GPs at the Beaumont Street Surgery in Oxford will be able to discuss this with you. More information can also be found here.

  • Physical and sensory, disabilities and hyper or hyposensitivity may also impact your ability to use barrier methods of contraception. Doctor’s surgeries and sexual health clinics will be able to discuss with you the use of alternatives to latex in condoms and dental damns, for example, and how best to approach asking your partner for assistance.



  • It is particularly important for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses to take good care of their everyday health physical and psychological health, including paying attention to diet, exercise and sleep.

  • More information and guidance can be found on the Wellbeing section of this website, and on the NHS website here.