Financial Hardship & Aid

At Pembroke, we recognise that financial worries can be a concern for students and their families. We also recognise that your financial situation is personal and you may be concerned about discussing it with others.

To talk confidentially about financial matters or for more details about the below funds, please contact Kirstie Morris (Academic Support Officer); 

For a whole host of information about fees and funding, including living costs and how to apply for government support, visit the Oxford University Fees & Funding pages.



Oxford Hardship Fund (OHF)

  • the Oxford Hardship Fund is provided by the government and is administered and distributed by the University.

  • Application forms are available in College from the Academic Office - please contact the Academic Support Officer to arrange an eligibility assessment.

  • The awards are for undergraduate or graduate students experiencing financial difficulty

  • The maximum award is £6000 and may be a combination of a grant or a loan. Students in their final year will normally be given a loan as it is expected that they will able to take on paid employment on completion of their studies.

Find out more about the Oxford Hardship Fund including eligibility and the application process, on the relevant Oxford University webpage.


Covid-19 Assistance Fund

  • The University has made additional funds available for students in hardship caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
  • Grants of up to £5000 are available, though funds are limited so the normal amount will be less than this.

  • All matriculated students are eligible, though students in the first year of their course must ensure that they have clearly demonstrated sustainability in their funding arrangements for the remainder of their course. The fund is not intended to replace long-term shortlfalls.

  • Application forms are available in College from the Academic Office - please contact the Academic Support Officer to arrange an eligibility assessment.

For more details, see the Oxford University Website.


Oxford Bursaries

  • If you are a Home (UK) or EU student from a lower-income household, you will be eligible to receive an annual non-repayable Oxford Bursary to help with living costs.

  • Applicants must complete a financial assessment in their application for UK Government Funding and share their household income with the University.

  • You do not have to make a separate application for an Oxford Bursary, and eligible students will receive a letter from the Student Funding Office explaining their entitlement.

  • Students receive between £200 and £4500 each year of their course depending on when they started their course and their household income.

For details, see the Oxford Bursaries and Fee Reductions webpage.


Funding for Students with Disabilities

  • Enquiries regarding funding for students with disabilities are handled by the Disability Advisory Service.

  • Disabled Student's Allowances (DSAs) are available to all British ('home') students. DSAs are not means tested and are do not need to be repaid. Details are available on the GOV.UK website.



College Hardship Grants

  • College hardship grants are for hardship not covered by the University hardship funds (see above), or to supplement their sources. 

  • Any matriculated student may apply.

  • The maximum grant available is normally around £1000. Smaller amounts (less than £200) should be directed to the JCR Art Fund below if possible. 

  • Students should contact Kirstie Morris in the Academic Office for an eligibility assessment and who will be able to guide them through the application:


JCR Art Fund Hardship Grants

  • The JCR Art Fund provides hardship grants all year round for unexpected or sudden (and not persistent) financial hardship.

  • Examples may include a broken laptop, an emergency trip home, or a parent/guardian suddenly out of work etc. but this list is not exhaustive.

  • There is no maximum amount for which students may apply, but it is generally designed to cover smaller amounts - if you have a long-term or severe problem you should approach the Academic Office about one of the funds above

  • Further information regarding eligibility and the application form can be acquired from the current JCR Vice-President