Brandreth, Arthur Killingworth Bourne

Arthur Brandreth was born on 10th January 1880 in Malpas, Cheshire, the only son of Joseph Pilkington Brandreth, Clerk in Holy Orders. After education aboard the ‘school ship’ H.M.S. Conway, Arthur matriculated at Pembroke College in 1907. He obtained his BA on 8th Feb 1913 and his MA on 30 Apr 1914. A Private with the 23rd battalion, Royal Fusiliers, he was killed in action on 1st November 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme.

In his will of 1910, Brandreth requested burial in the churchyard of St. Giles R.C. Church, Cheadle, Staffs. with his feet towards the East and with a Gothic cross designed by Benedict Williamson to be erected over the grave. A 5th codicil of 6th Oct 1914 stipulated that, if he should die and be buried abroad, the above instructions were revoked and, instead, a mural tablet with a Latin inscription should be installed within the church, again designed by Benedict Williamson.

Benedict Williamson was formerly an architect, became a Catholic priest, and volunteered to serve in the army as a chaplain during WW1.  He survived the Great War and designed many churches and other buildings chiefly for the R.C. Diocese of Southwark.

Brandreth's memorial tablet translates as:

“Let him lie honored, Arthur Killingworth Bourne Brandreth, Master of Arts of Oxford and soldier of the Royal Fusiliers who, in battle at Ancre on the Feast of All Saints in 1916, fulfilling the duties of his station, fell for his fatherland. Hail, soldier of Christ and farewell. May you rest well in peace, veteran.”

With thanks to J.W. and A.M. Curtis for their extensive research and to James Aglio for the Latin translation