The McGowin Library

Pembroke College Library had previously been housed in Broadgates Hall but a new, purpose-built library was made possible in the 1970s by the donations of the McGowin family of Alabama (four McGowin brothers and a nephew having studied at Pembroke). The Library was opened in 1974 and was built on the site between the Old Quad and the Master’s Lodgings which had housed the communal bathrooms since 1926.