The Master’s Lodgings

The range of buildings that now includes the Master’s Lodgings were built around 1525 by Cardinal Wolsey as almshouses for pensioned soldiers and sailors; they were owned by Christ Church until 1888 when they were purchased by Pembroke College. In 1929 the almshouses were converted into the present Master’s Lodgings together with some administrative offices, guest rooms and some undergraduate accommodation. Previously, the Master had resided in what is now the Samuel Johnson Building adjacent to Broadgates Hall.